Here is our delicious grilled pizza. If you've never had it, you've got to try it. And once you try it, there is no turning back. You WILL be hooked! :)
First, make the dough. My favorite recipe is from Jamie Oliver (my all time favorite chef). Here is the recipe in English measurements (or you can click here for Jamie's):
1 cup semolina flour
3 1/2 cups bread flour
*I've also done this with just all-purpose
flour and it works fine.
Whisk flours together in a very large bowl,
then make a well in the center and add:
2 1/4 cups tepid water
2 teaspoons yeast
1 tablespoon salt
6 tablespoons olive oil
Start to blend with a fork, pulling in flour from
the sides as you work it all together. When it becomes
hard to move around, use your hands. You may need to add more flour.
I like to use my large, flat wooden spoon (I got it in
Kenya when I was visiting
Harmon and Teri Parker, before I met Allen).
Work until smooth. Form into a large ball and place back
in your bowl that has been well oiled. Cover and let rise
until double, about 1 hour or so.
When ready, punch down.
Divide the dough in balls (the size and amount you want your pizza to be). I always double or triple the recipe so I can freeze any leftover dough. Place the dough on a large oiled cookie sheet and cover with plastic wrap.
Now you are ready to get grillin'! The coals can't be too hot, so make sure the grill has had time to cool down before you start the pizza. We bring out our folding table by the grill and set everything up so it is within arms reach of the grill.
Yea, those are "pizza cutting" scissors in the picture. And they actually work great.
Our menu was BBQ shredded pork pizza with green onions, and roasted garlic chicken pizza with caramelized red onions. (no need for side dishes when grilling pizza). The BBQ shredded pork I had made in the crock pot a while ago and froze some of it so we could have it for pizza. We used Sweet Baby Ray's for the sauce, jack cheese, and topped it off with green onions.
Then for the garlic chicken pizza: this one was my favorite.
I roasted two heads of garlic
then mushed those up with olive oil, salt, pepper, a little sugar, and a little mayo
Now back outside to the grill:
Roll out your dough (not too big because it can get hard to handle).
Then brush with olive oil over the ENTIRE dough (you don't want it to stick).
With the oiled side down, place on the grill. Immediately oil the side facing up. Then cover the grill.
Give it five minutes or so (but it depends on how hot your grill is. The first time we ever grilled pizza we had it way too hot and ended up eating "blackened" pizza. Still, it wasn't horrible.) When the dough is starting to cook through, and it is bubbly all over, remove cover, flip the pizza, then add your choice of sauce and toppings.
Cover for a few more minutes to melt the cheese.
Then enjoy eating your beautifully, delicious pizza.
Oh, so good!
Here's the BBQ shredded pork pizza
The kids also love doing this. Since we are outside it is easy clean up when they get flour everywhere :)
Hey, let me out! I want to grill!
Asher going through mommy with drawl, even though I'm five feet away. It's the same when I go upstairs, or to the bathroom, etc. Oh Ash! I love you so much!
HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY TO ALL YOU WONDERFUL MOTHERS!

4 comments:
HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY, AMY!!
We can almost taste the goodness once again. The step-by-step illustrated version makes this all the more a winner- can't wait to try it in Skokie & again in Corralitos this fall!
Blessings,
Pam & Gary :-)
You are something else, Miss Amy!! I cannot believe you make such elaborate dinners with a family your size - plus include them in the process. You amaze me!
Thanks for letting us into the Johnson home to be a part of such fun events.
Happy Mom's Day to one of the best.
Blessing, pat & brendon
love this! you're such a fabulous cook!
Amy, I can't wait to try this! It sounds so yummy!
Post a Comment