Friday, January 30, 2009

Asher's Feet.....

We took Asher to the orthopedic specialist yesterday in San Jose. I really liked the doctor. He was very informative, and got to work right away. He cast Asher from his feet up to the top of his thighs. Asher did not care for this, and he has not been very happy since. But hopefully in a day or two he will get used to the casts. We will be going every week to get recast, for about 5 weeks or so. Then the doctor will see from there if he will need to do any "minor surgery" on his tendons. He would do this in the hospital, and it doesn't take long to do. Any incisions would be very small, and we wouldn't have to stay overnight. After that Asher would be cast again for 3 weeks, and then he would have to wear special shoes with a bar between them to keep his feet straight, and he would have to wear them 24 hours a day. I think until he is walking well, and then we can take them off of him, and he would only wear them at night. It will be a long process, but we are so thankful that this is fixable, and Asher will not be held back from anything when he is older. Please be praying that Asher gets used to the casts. He is going to be learning patience at a very early age! Here are some pictures.........





9 comments:

Osanna said...

So cute and yet so uncomfortable looking! Hurray that it looks like a pretty easy fix! Osanna

faithsalutes said...

I cannot help myself...uh, baby casts are adorable.

He will be dancing like his father one day.

CAjohnsonfamily said...

Yes, I'm sure he will be dancing just like the rest of they boys! He's already getting familiar with Michael Jackson :)

Erin said...

Ah! This is not going to be comfortable for him. Poor little guy. I am praying that he will get used to it & it won't bother him too much.
What happens with crawling & other such getting around? If he has to keep the barred shoes on until walking, I'm guessing he doesn't really get to do that stuff?

team brownlee said...

Amy, thank you for your attitude and trust in God...it turns trials into blessings for all those in your life. We are praying for Asher!

big hair betty said...

Poor little guy! I hope he adjusts to the casts soon, even forgets that they are there! One of the girls I used to nanny for had hip dysplasia (I think that's what it was) and she had the cast from her feet to her torso (with a cut out for the diaper area!). She crawled all around with it on and it definitely helped turn her into a little firecracker!

Jen B. said...

Amy and Allen, you guys are so strong and amazing! Asher is adorable, as are his little casts! If you ever go to San Jose the back way and need somewhere to drop off a kid or two, let me know! We are always home. WE LOVE YOU ALL!!!!!

renee said...

I had casts like this when I was a baby too! I even wore the shoes with the bar until I walked. It amazes me that they still fix clubbed feet the same way they did when I was a baby. I think he looks cute in his little casts!

Sarah said...

What beautiful children you have...and that sweet baby! Love his sister holding him...

Daisypath Anniversary tickers